1. Prepare/Pack the night before! With most races being in the early morning you don’t want to forget anything (cough cough, like I did). Lay out your outfit, pack a bag and make it your dedicated race bag (this may also give you a good reason to go out and buy a new bag), have a checklist of everything you will need for the race and make sure you have it all ready. My check list looks like the following:
My running mascot, Swift
- Road ID
- Body Glide
- iPod Shuffle
- iPod armband
- Heart-rate monitor
- My Mascot Swift
- Protein Bar
- Water Bottle
- Extra Safety pins
Now I am sure this will change as I run more races but this is it for now.
2. Wear something that makes you feel pretty
( I got this tip from Gina, from Walk to the Mailbox
) I suggest neon colors, why you ask, because you will stand out! You want to feel comfortable while you are running so wear something that makes you feel that way.
3. You need to get over your fear of porter potties quick , they are your only option for a rest room and they are not pretty
4. A wave is not something you find in an ocean, it is a scattered start, the number wave you are in corresponds to when you will leave the start line. A wave can also be referred to as a corral. If you do not start in your wave or corral you could potentially be disqualified it depends on the race. Corrals are normally decided by the amount of time you think it will take you to finish the race.
5. If the weather is chilly, bring sweats to put on after your run, you will thank me later
6. Do not forget to stretch after you run, I know you may be excited and forget but you must stretch, no one wants an injury
7. If you feel like you are going to get sick at the finish, well I wouldn’t because there really isn’t anywhere to go, everyone is crowded around the finish area (yea I learned this quick, luckily I did not get sick!)
8. Be prepared to wait in long lines at the bag check, everyone has a bag, there will be a line but I guess that gives you some quality time for stretching (win win)
9. Make Friends! Races are fun, you are going to meet some amazing people in your corrals and after the race. You never know maybe you will meet your next running buddy
10. Smile, it makes the whole process easier
11. Remember you are running this race for you and only you
12. “You don’t have to be fast. But you better be FEARLESS” It does not matter your pace, but make sure you get on that course and give it your all, you only get one shot!
Filed under: Running | Tagged: advice, corrals, races, Running, running races, running tips, smile, Walk to the Mailbox, waves | Leave a Comment »