Tully’s Gluten Free Bakery is located in the East Village on 11th Street, between 2nd and 1st Ave. It is very easy to get to from L (1st Ave) or 6 Trains (Astor Place). Tully received her diagnosis of gluten intolerance in July of 2008, she immediately didn’t know how she was going to live without Baked goods in her life. She went to many gluten-free bakeries but nothing ever tasted the same. “So she started Tully’s Bakery to create gluten-free baked goods that taste just as delicious as products containing wheat. After experimenting with different blends of flours in her kitchen at home, she finally came up with recipes for cookies, brownies and cupcakes that everyone can enjoy. She decided to pursue her passion for cooking after graduating from SMU when she attended culinary school at Le Cordon Bleu in Austin, TX. From there, she took an internship at Gramercy Tavern, and has lived in New York City ever since.”
Tully’s Bakery had their Grand Opening today and I knew I had to try it out. Tully’s Bakery was a short walk from where I worked. The store itself was very nice, very bright and clean. Her staff were extremely helpful. I decided to try a little of everything. Right now she offers a variety of cupcakes, cookies, brownies, and muffins. I tried:
Mini Cupcakes (3 for $3.50) :
All the Cupcakes were very moist which I was surprised by. None of them crumbled and they tasted very similar to any regular cupcakes I have had. Subtle difference but not huge, overall I really enjoy her cupcakes.
- Chocolate cake with Chocolate Icing- Very chocolately but really good (one of my favorites)
- Chocolate cake with Peanut Butter Icing- Very good, if you love peanut butter you will love this one
- Red Velvet cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Icing- Really moist, much better than the Red Velvet at Babycakes
- Vanilla cake with Chocolate Icing- This was my least favorite, it was good the frosting was just very rich
- Vanilla cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing- The frosting is amazing!
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chip (Vegan)- does not taste like a normal chocolate chip cookie, good but not my favorite
- Oatmeal, Cranberry, White & Semi-Sweet Chocolate chips- I liked this one better than the Chocolate Chip
- Dark Chocolate Brownies
- Vegan Brownie
- Banana- to die for, her muffins are so good!
If you can’t make it to the bakery she also sells her products online. These products are not the healthiest thing in the world it is just like eating a regular cupcake but the products do not contain any Gluten. If you can’t eat gluten I highly suggest Tully’s Gluten Free Bakery. All of her products are moist and taste like any other cupcake or brownie just gluten-free.